Things to Do in Athens, GA
Athens, GA is the hometown of the University of GA (UGA) and 3-time College Football National Champions and most recently 2021 College Football National Champions.
Athens, GA has a fantastic and southern charmed music scene, great acclaimed restaurants and several attractions. There is plenty to do in this small Georgia town of Athens, which is located about 1 hour outside of Atlanta, GA.
Outdoor Festivities that are offered:
- Sandy Creek Park
- Sandy Creek Nature Center
- Walker Park
- Oconee Rivers Greenway, offers fishing, kayaking, walking, biking, skating, hiking and picnicking opportunities.
- Bike the Firefly Trail
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia and its magical Children's Garden.
Shopping: Shop and catch a movie by visiting Beechwood and Georgia Square Mall, which is home to both major department stores and local retailers, as well as theaters and specialty shops.
Breweries: Grab a cold one and head over to watch one of the University of Georgia sports teams as Athens is home to some excellent Breweries including Southern Brewing Company, Terrapin Brewing Co., and Authentic Brewing Co.
Food: When in Athens, GA eat like the Romans. Or better yet eat like the Georgia Bulldogs. There are great eateries located in Athens, GA. Whenever you have that appetite for some great unmatched cuisines, you can visit some of these local landmarks:
- The Mayflower (171 E Broad St.) opened in 1948 and serves breakfast and lunch only, except Saturdays when they do breakfast from 6:30 a.m. until 1 in the afternoon
- Strickland's Restaurant (4723 Atlanta Hwy.) opened in 1960 and specializes in traditional Southern comfort food.
- Taco Stand (670 N Milledge Ave.) opened in 1977 by business partners Phil Stangle and Randle Roberts